Sustainable Saturday - Roasting Pumpkins

I paid $1 each for locally grown pie pumpkins.

I washed the pumpkins.


I cut up the pumpkin and placed in a pan with 1/3 cup water. I roasted the pumpkin at 400 degrees for 20 minutes covering with foil, then turned the pumpkin pieces and roasted for another 20 minutes.

Then I peeled off the skin and placed in a freezer bag to use later.  On our last Freezer Cooking Day I pulled the frozen pumpkin out of the freezer and used in my recipes instead of canned pumpkin.  While I'm sure the muffins and scones we made were packed with nutritional value, I wish I would have made the pumpkin into more of a puree before adding to the baking mixtures.  The scones definitely didn't have a strong pumpkin taste and the muffins were not much better.  I also used all wheat flour this time and think that I will do 1/3 wheat flour and 2/3 white flour in these recipes next time.  Live and learn.
 





No comments: