Sustainable Saturday - Homemade Applesauce

I paid $4.50 for a large container of apple seconds.  The are not organic, but they were locally grown. 


I made two large pots of applesauce and froze portions large enough for my family for one meal.

Amy's Applesauce:
Apples (your choice of type)
Water
Sugar
Cinnamon

Wash and peel apples (if desired)
Core and slice apples
Place apples in a pan
Fill with water to almost cover apples
Cook apples and water on medium heat until apples breakdown
Add sugar and cinnamon (if desired) to taste


I freeze meal size portions in freezer bags, laying them flat in my freezer. I can just take one out when ready and let it thaw in the fridge. For an extra treat, you can warm the sauce in a pan before serving.

 I have also made sauce leaving the skins on. This will give a pinkish tint to your sauce.  When I was all done we composted all of the apple scraps.

No comments: