Freezer Cooking Day - October 2009

I am always up for finding new ways to simplify our lives and feed my family as healthy and nutitiously as possible without breaking my $50 per week grocery budget!

This cool October day we decided to do some baking, cooking and freezing ahead.


On the list:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, Thanks! MoneySavingMom
Cook black beans and pinto beans
Cook brown rice
Cook white rice
Mix sugar cookie dough


We made about 4 dozen Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins of which 3 dozen we froze. They were delicous! We will make again, however this time I am going to make my own pumpkin puree instead of store bought.

The beans, brown rice and white rice we bagged into meal size portions for our family and froze for meals later on. As an attempt to further cut our grocery budget and provide variety in our meals, I am using more beans. For example I made: Shepard's pie & Enchiladas using black and pinto beans. If you are interested in using more beans, there is a fabulous recipe list at Natural on a Budget.

The sugar cookie dough we froze for use later. We were supposed to bake the cookies that afternoon, but opted for the park instead. :)

With much success, we completed our first baking, cooking and freezing ahead day . . . and will do this again soon.

Next Freezer Cooking Day - Wednesday, November 11.

No comments: