For years now I have been making fleece hats and scarves for my kids. The idea for the hats I got inspiration for from a gift my daughter received when she was one. The gift was a fleece hat, made simply with a tassel on the top. It was cute and my daughter loved it. However, being fleece she quickly outgrew it. I looked at the hat and thought, I can easily make this.
So on a trip to JoAnn Fabric several years ago I bought yards of fleece for $0.99 / yd. This year I've seen it advertised for $2.99 for plain and $2.99 for printed / yd + 20% total purchase discount (which would be approximately $2.39 / yd.).
I usually measure the circumference of my children's heads, then make the hat custom to fit their head. I do find that there is some stretch to the fleece, so if you are not able to do this, I found the resource below, although for 0-36 months only.
Baby Infant Growth Chart Calculator - Head Circumference (0-36 months)
Instructions for the hat:
- Cut a piece of fabric that is the correct circumference for the child's head + 1" (length) x 14"-16" (height) depending on how tall you want the tassel(s) to be.
- Fold up 1 1/2 - 2" at the base of the hat to make it look finished and stitch across the length of the fabric.
- Fold the fabric in half to make the hat. Sew in 1/2" from edge to form hat. Do not stitch the top part of the hat where the tassel will be. Leave 6"-8" at top of hat for tassel(s).
- Cut a piece of fleece approximately 1/2" x 12" to tie around the top where the tassel(s) will be located.
- Use scissors to cut the tassel(s) strips (3/8" - 1/2" wide each).
Instructions for the pink scarf:
- Cut a piece of fabric that is approximately 8" (width) x 30"-42" (length). You will need 3 of these.
- Sew together down the middle the 3 pieces of fleece.
- Use scissors to cut strips 1/2" to 1" wide the length of the scarf.
Instructions for the neck warmer:
- Cut a piece of fleece that is approximately 22"-26" (length) x 10"-12" (height).
- Fold up on either side 1/2" - 1" of fabric and sew along entire length of piece of fleece. You will do this on both long sides.
- Turn inside out and sew 1/2" from edge along short side of fleece.